Types of hosting solutions
A hosting solution involves storing and/or sharing specific content on a web server managed by a web hosting distributor. There are different classes of hosting services utilized for different ends, so let's have a peek at them. Thus, you can conclude what you need, based on whether you'd like to create a web portal, mails, or to share files with friends and partners.
- File hosting: a solution offered by various companies, which permits you to share enormous files. These could be disk images, motion pictures, audio files, archived files, and so on. This solution is also known as file storage, and its single goal is to share files, since it does not support web site uploading. Once the files are uploaded, you will either get an accidentally generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to view an index of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to see .html or .php website files in your web browser. Free-of-charge file hosting solutions frequently involve advertisements next to the download links, while a timer obliges you to await a specific amount of time to observe them. A given file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you run a paid file storage package, there are no limits as to how many files you can upload/download right away, and also there is no limitation in regard to the download speed or the file size.
Nowadays, with the help of the cPanel hosting distributors, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more trendy "cloud hosting". This is a thoroughly fallacious interpretation of the literal definition of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting environment would assign the tasks at hand between individual groups of servers in a cluster, which are committed to serving various web hosting services (email, data storage, statistics, DNS, databases, webspace hosting CP, and so on.) So, the file hosting service is merely a variety of a disk storage hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: similar to file hosting; some vendors offer a hosting solution for images exclusively. This hosting type is appropriate if you want to share a huge number of pictures with buddies or acquaintances since the solution is usually free of cost. You will obtain a random link for each and every pic or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file storage solution, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the service cannot be used for web sites.
- Email hosting: a service devoted to managing your email addresses. Some vendors provide web hosting solutions for web sites, but do not offer an email solution. If you wish to get an e-mail address with your domain name but do not wish to keep a website, then the email hosting service is what you want. You can set up e-mail box accounts and manage them, but there will be no hosting service for the domains. The email hosting service includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP email servers.
- Video hosting: this service enables you to upload and share videos. You can either share a link to a given video, or you can embed the video file in your web site that is hosted elsewhere. The benefit of using this method instead of uploading the video in a hosting account is that the video clip creates a given amount of CPU load, so with a bunch of videos and a few hundred website visitors, you may have difficulty with your web site hosting resources. Embedding the video clip will allow you to possess as many video files as you wish without bothering about system reserves.
- Web page hosting: this is the solution that you require if you would like to own a web site. To some degree, it involves all of the aforementioned hosting forms since, along with your web sites, you can also host pictures and files, you can run databases and e-mail box accounts, upload video files, etc. At NTC Hosting, for instance, you can have a gaze at web hosting and dedicated web server hosting services that permit you to have all of the abovementioned solutions in one location. There may be limitations based on the type of hosting service that you've picked - a free hosting package, a paid shared hosting package, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your website hosting plan may be better or worse juxtaposed to the common email/file/video/image hosting packages that are tailored for specific web content exclusively.